Thursday 10 July 2014

WOC 2014

    It was a great feeling to be back on the start line after missing last years world champs but a little nerve racking being my first time in the sprint qualification. I did not have the technical races that I was hoping to have in the sprint and sprint relay but it was good experience. The sprint qualification was alright for me but I made some stupid mistakes that cost me too much time. The men's qualifications are so packed with amazing orienteers that any small mistake will put you way down the results list. I ended up 26th/40 in Men-A but with a mistake free race I could have been 10 seconds from qualifying and 18th. In the future I think I can make the final with a clean race and a bit better physical shape, like I was in the spring before I got injured.
Heading to the last control in the Sprint Qualification.
Photo: Ken Walker
3rd last control
Photo
3rd last control
Photo
Sprint qualification route-right click open in new tab for better quality
     The sprint relay was really fun with so many spectators all throughout the course cheering loudly. My race was disappointing since I took a lot of slightly longer/slower route choices on the most important legs. Physically I also felt bad since I did virtually nothing since the sprint qualification because my foot was too sore to do anything after pushing as hard as I could have in the qualification. I am disappointed with my results since it was not what I was hoping for which is frustrating but hurting my foot did not help my confidence and physical shape. On the upside we managed to beat our North American rival :).
Just released from quarantine
Photo: Ken Walker
Just got the map from Will and I am heading to the start triangle
Photo: Ken Walker
Mixed sprint relay route-right click open in new tab for better quality
     My WOC 2014 racing is now over unless I get to race the relay as the reserve if someone gets injured. I will now try to get healthy before our WOC 2015 Team Canada training camp in Scotland and for WUOC in August.

Train on,
Damian

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed hearing about your experiences, Damian. Keep plugging and you'll be in that final yet!

    ReplyDelete